Info & ??
E. & H.T. Anthony Company History
E. & H.T. Anthony
Edward Anthony was a civil engineer with formal scientific training at Columbia. He was interested in photography and so he purchased lessons from Samuel F.B Morse. Anthony, now equipped with this new pioneering skill, became an expert in daguerreotype photography.
In 1842, E. Anthony opened his Daguerreotype gallery in New York. He established an association with a series of partners and became well know in New York for his daguerreotype gallery. In one of his photographic pursuits, he began to survey the northeast boundary of the united states. Some of these early early photos are credited as the first used by the US government to assist in the Webster-Ashburn treaty of 1842, which established the boundary between Maine and Quebec.
In 1847 he opened a separate shop devoted exclusively to photographic supplies. Sales grew rapidly and he ceased operations in his daguerrotypist gallery.
In 1850, competition increased due to the introduction of a new type of silver plate manufacturing by Scovill and by the Paris firm Charles Christofle. This drove Anthony to start the production of daguerreotype cases, camera boxes, and photographic chemicals. Additionally, Anthony sent a representative Samuel Holmes with an assistant on a tour of major inland cities east of the Mississippi, as far as St. Louis. This marketing campaign proved quite successful.
By 1852, The business expanded enough and Edward took on two silent partners. His Brother Henry T. Anthony joined. Henry also had a background in civil engineering and also banking. The other partner was a financier.
In 1854 The Anthony factory was located at New York city's, Harlem Rail Road Depot, occupying 1/4 of the building. It was stated in an Anthony catalogue that this factory was the most extensive apparatus and photographic material manufacturer in the wold. Anthony manufactured two cameras of his design, a camera-box and a bellows-box, accomplishing all wood and metal work in this factory. He also had an extensive line of photo cases he manufactured, where he employed young boys and girls to perform simple construction tasks. Additional cameras that he sold were Chapman, Chevalier (Paris), Harrison, Palmer & Longkings and Voigtlander cameras.
In 1859, Anthony launched the sale of stereoscopic view cards, along with photographic albums, gallery furniture and backdrops.
In 1862, the firmís name was changed to E. & H.T. Anthony to recognize his brotherís contribution.
In, 1870 the company began manufacturing cameras.
In 1883, E. & H.T. ANTHONY produced the first commercially manufactured hand instantaneous camera, called the Schmidt Patent Detective Camera, in America.
In 1902, E. & H.T. Anthony merged with the Scovill and Adams Company.
CLICK HERE read Edward Anthony biography
Click here to view a few early E & HT Anthony advertisements, coutesy of J. Maresuk.
Click here to view the E. Anthony company camera product line and find detailed trade catalogue information and pictures about cameras.